Friday 11 November 2011

Persistence Pays

Poor neglected blog! It's been so long since I paid you any attention.
I've recently completed my longest running piece of research. It took almost eighteen months to find the origins of a client's father. I wasn't doing it all the time, of course, as there was a lot of waiting for documents and pauses for breath and inspiration. In fact, I spent no more than 25 hours on it.
I'd like to tell the story, in brief and with no names, over a few blog entries.
In sum, the story was: my client was the result of a liaison between his mother and a man from Spain, many years ago. But all he knew about his father was his name.
I'm not used to work which takes me to the second half of the 20th century, and have never done a piece of research which made me feel as much private detective as genealogist.
I was blessed by the fact that the lost father had an unusual, Spanish-sounding name.
I soon found his name in the indexes: but unfortunately he was dead. He had married and had children not 20 miles from where my client grew up and later lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment